Kevo enables consumers to trigger home temperature and energy savings by locking and unlocking their door
LAS VEGAS (January 5, 2015)
– Kwikset® Kevo™, the industry’s first smart lock, now works with Nest, enabling greater home control convenience for current and future Kevo users. Starting today, customers will be able to set the Nest Learning Thermostat™ to Home and Away modes through the Kevo app.
“Kwikset’s integration with Nest is an example of Kwikset’s commitment to improving the Kevo user experience,” says Keith Brandon, director of residential access solutions, Kwikset. “Both Nest and Kwikset add convenience to users’ active, on-the-go lives and we are proud to provide added value for consumers with both products.”
How Does Kevo Work with Nest?
Upon locking, Kevo will prompt the user to set Nest to Away mode, adjusting the thermostat to a lower energy-saving temperature as determined by each individual user. Kevo prompts the thermostat to adjust to Home mode upon unlocking, which returns the thermostat to the user’s preferred temperature. Users who choose to sync their Kevo and Nest products will see the benefit of energy savings with minimal effort on the part of the homeowner.
Kwikset shaped the future of the smart lock and revolutionized the way consumers think about home security with the release of Kevo in October 2013. Using patent-pending Touch-to-Open technology developed by partner UniKey Technologies, Inc.
, Kevo pairs with compatible smart phones using Bluetooth® Smart to turn the smart phone into an electronic key (eKey). With Kevo, consumers can keep their phone in their pocket or purse and use their finger to lock and unlock their deadbolt, avoiding the hassle of juggling grocery bags or fumbling for keys.
Kwikset continues to lead the industry by continuously updating functionality of Kevo, the only smart lock on the market that offers all of the following features:
- Inside / Outside Technology– Kevo includes patent-pending intelligent positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
- Touch-to-Open Convenience– Users can keep their phones in their pocket or purse, no need to remove the device in order to lock or unlock the door. No more fumbling for keys, simply touch the lock to open for the ultimate in convenience.
- Guest and Scheduled eKeys – Users can control access to the home for friends, family and guests using eKeys, which can be set to allow repeating 24-hour access in addition to setting time constraints or allowing all-day access
- SmartKey® Re-Key Technology– Kwikset’s patented SmartKey technology provides superior security and re-keying convenience unlike any other smart lock on the market.
- Leadership in Both Security and Technology – With Kwikset’s long-time leadership in residential door lock security, and UniKey’s expertise in smart access control technology, Kevo is engineered to give consumers both maximum security and technology performance.
“Over the last year, Kwikset and UniKey have worked together to push the envelop of what a smart lock means to the consumer,” says Phil Dumas, UniKey founder and president. “Working with Nest was a clear next step for enhancing the user experience and bringing the Kevo platform to a larger audience.”
Kevo’s Work with Nest integration is available now to Kevo users with iOS 8 or greater. Current Kevo users with compatible operating systems can access the integration through Kevo app versions 1.3, available for free download in the Apple store.
For additional information about Kevo or to access images and request product for review, please visit https://kwiksetpresskit.com
Kwikset, the leader in residential door security, manufactures and markets a complete line of door locks and door hardware. Designed for residential and light commercial applications, Kwikset’s product offering includes doorknobs, deadbolts, handlesets, pocket door hardware and electronic keyless entry locks. Kwikset’s electronic 913 SmartCode Deadbolt and 980 Deadbolt with SmartKey Re-Key Technology earned the esteemed Best Buy rating from Consumers Digest in 2014, representing the innovation and security customers can expect from Kwikset. Headquartered in Orange County, Calif., Kwikset is part of the Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) division of Spectrum Brands. Kwikset products are sold through retailers and distributors throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico. To learn more about Kwikset, visit https://kwiksetpresskit.com
About Hardware and Home Improvement
Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) is a major manufacturer and supplier of residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware and faucets with a portfolio of renowned brands, including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Stanley®, FANAL®, Pfister™ and EZSET®. HHI is a leader in its key markets with #1 positions in U.S. residential locksets (Kwikset), Canada residential locksets (Weiser), U.S. luxury locksets (Baldwin), and U.S. builders’ hardware (Stanley-National Hardware), #2 in Mexico residential hardware (Fanal), and #3 in U.S. retail plumbing (Pfister). Headquartered in Orange County, California, HHI has a global sales force and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Asia.
About Spectrum Brands
HHI is a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SPB). Spectrum Brands is a global, diversified consumer products company and a leading supplier of consumer batteries, residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware, faucets, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Spectrum Brands employs approximately 13,500 employees worldwide and sells to the top 25 global retailers with products in more than one million stores.
UniKey’s access control technology powers the first keyless entry system that can be integrated into any lock. UniKey’s technology replaces keys, codes and passwords by turning your smartphone into a convenient, universal electronic key. This technology affords secure and intelligent access by simply touching your lock without removing your phone from your pocket or purse. Serving the mass market by licensing its technology, UniKey works in partnership with market leading companies, including Kwikset for the Kevo Bluetooth residential door application, and MIWA for hospitality solutions.