Android Lollipop users can download the beta Kevo app today on Google Play
LAKE FOREST (December 18, 2014)
– Kwikset®, the leader in residential door hardware, introduces Android™ compatibility to the breakthrough Kevo™ smart lock. Consumers with Android 5.0 Lollipop (L) software on supported devices can download the beta Kevo app on the Google Play store to experience Kevo’s functionality.
Android L customers can now download and use the beta Kevo app to experience Kevo, while Kwikset continues to enhance the performance and functionality of the official app. Android L devices are the first from Android that fully support Bluetooth® Smart peripheral mode, which is needed for Kevo compatibility. Bluetooth Smart technology ensures a low energy, seamless connection from the Kevo deadbolt to authorized devices. Since Kevo’s launch, Kwikset and technology partner, UniKey Technologies, Inc., have worked to develop a compatible app that gives Android users the complete smart lock experience.
“We’re excited to expand Kevo smart lock compatibility to the large Android fan base with the public beta program,” said Greg Williamson, chief marketing officer, Hardware and Home Improvement, Spectrum Brands.
All Android customers with Google’s new Android L devices, Nexus 6 phone and Nexus 9 tablet, can download the beta Kevo app today on the Google Play store. Android L users can experience key features of Kevo, including:
- Touch-to-open convenience – No more fumbling for keys, simply touch the lock to open with your authorized Android device in your purse or pocket to open the door.
- eKey management – Send or delete electronic keys (eKeys) from the beta Kevo app to grant or revoke access from your smartphone at any time.
- Guest, Anytime and Scheduled eKeys – Guest eKeys allow users to give recipients access to the home for a 24-hour period, while Anytime eKeys give guests unrestricted access and Scheduled eKeys let users set day and time restraints for someone who needs regular, pre-determined access.
- History Log – A history of the lock’s activity may be viewed through the Kevo mobile app. The history log provides the times and dates that eKeys were sent and received as we as well eKey holders locked and unlocked the door for ultimate peace of mind.
- Inside / Outside technology – Kevo offers patent-pending positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
Through customer feedback to the beta experience, Kwikset will be able to implement all Kevo app features for the official Android app launch.
“As more devices become Bluetooth Smart compatible, Kwikset is committed to giving all consumers the chance to enjoy Kevo’s convenience and ability to manage home security from their smartphones,” said Williamson.
Visit Kwikset at the International Builders' Show, booth #S2241 to demonstrate the beta Kevo app on Nexus 6 devices. For more information about the beta Kevo app testing program and compatible devices, please visit http://www.kwikset.com/kevo/
For information about Kwikset’s latest products and to access high-resolution images, please visit https://kwiksetpresskit.com
Kwikset, the leader in residential door security, manufactures and markets a complete line of door locks and door hardware. Designed for residential and light commercial applications, Kwikset’s product offering includes doorknobs, deadbolts, handlesets, pocket door hardware and electronic keyless entry locks. Kwikset’s electronic 913 SmartCode Deadbolt and 980 Deadbolt with SmartKey Re-Key Technology earned the esteemed Best Buy rating from Consumers Digest in 2014, representing the innovation and security customers can expect from Kwikset. Headquartered in Orange County, Calif., Kwikset is part of the Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) division of Spectrum Brands. Kwikset products are sold through retailers and distributors throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico. To learn more about Kwikset, visit https://kwiksetpresskit.com
About Hardware and Home Improvement
Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) is a major manufacturer and supplier of residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware and faucets with a portfolio of renowned brands, including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Stanley®, FANAL®, Pfister™ and EZSET®. HHI is a leader in its key markets with #1 positions in U.S. residential locksets (Kwikset), Canada residential locksets (Weiser), U.S. luxury locksets (Baldwin), and U.S. builders’ hardware (Stanley-National Hardware), #2 in Mexico residential hardware (Fanal), and #3 in U.S. retail plumbing (Pfister). Headquartered in Orange County, California, HHI has a global sales force and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Asia.
About Spectrum Brands
HHI is a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SPB). Spectrum Brands is a global, diversified consumer products company and a leading supplier of consumer batteries, residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware, faucets, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Spectrum Brands employs approximately 13,500 employees worldwide and sells to the top 25 global retailers with products in more than one million stores.