Jan. 7, 2014 (Las Vegas, Nevada) –
This week, at the Consumer Electronics Show
, Kwikset®, a leading brand of the Hardware & Home Improvement (HHI) division of Spectrum Brands Holdings (NYSE:SPB), continues to lead the smart lock category as it announces the upcoming release of its remote locking and unlocking technology enabled by a Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth Gateway, in the summer of 2014. This advancement will allow current and future Kwikset Kevo homeowners to lock and unlock remotely with just their smartphone, further enhancing their Kwikset Kevo experience from near or far.
“Kwikset is quickly expanding the value Kevo delivers to current and future owners through a series of Kevo technology advancements, beginning with remote functionality, based on the desires of today’s consumer” said Keith Brandon, director, residential access solutions. “Kevo continues to be the
breakthrough smart lock technology on the market, gaining recognition from the CES Innovation Awards, among many others.”
Kwikset Kevo Evolved: Added Convenience for Current and Future Owners
As the appetite for smart locks becomes more and more prevalent in homes, the increase in demand for added benefits also prevails. After ninety days in market, Kwikset has learned the feature most requested by its customers is remote access, and in 2014 is expanding the value of Kevo to meet this demand. With the release of Kwikset Kevo’s remote access technology, current and future Kevo owners will have total control over their homes’ security, whether at home or away. Upcoming upgrades will add key benefits, including:
- Unlock and lock Kwikset Kevo from anywhere via your smartphone
- Receive real time notifications from the Kwikset Kevo iPhone App when door is locked/unlocked by touch (current notification offering), fob or traditional key
Whether a frequent business-traveler who wants to be sure his family is safe at home with real time notifications or a busy mom who needs to let her kids into the house while out running errands, Kevo owners will continue to experience the value of personalized convenience through Kwikset’s Kevo technology.
Kevo Functionality Available Today
Kwikset Kevo became available in October 2013 and was the first-to-market smart lock supported with Bluetooth. As Kwikset and UniKey continue to work together to release next-level smart lock technology, Kevo currently offers several unique innovations, including a mobile app that gives you control and convenience, making Kevo the total lock solution for homeowners. After setting up a Kevo account, users can control everything through their app, including:
- Managing eKeys and settings associated with each given lock
- Receiving notifications when a user enters or exits the door
- Monitoring lock activity and tracking user history
- Updating Kevo lock software directly from a smartphone
- Instant access to Kevo’s Help Center
- Kevo web portal offers the same management features as the app
Kwikset Kevo also offers the added value of residential security expertise, separating it from its competition. These benefits include:
- Inside-outside technology – Kwikset Kevo offers patent-pending intelligent positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
- Touch-to-open convenience – Users can keep their phones in their pocket or purse. No more fumbling for keys, simply touch the lock to open for the ultimate in convenience.
- Kevo fob – No smartphone? No problem. Users can enjoy the same touch to open convenience with the fob. A single fob can be authorized to work with up to 25 Kevo locks.
- Multiple levels of encryption – Kwikset Kevo uses multiple levels of encryption to increase digital security and is continually reviewed by industry leading independent security experts.
- SmartKey® technology – Kwikset’s patented SmartKey re-key technology provides superior security and re-key convenience unlike any other smart lock on the market.
For product demonstrations and to speak exclusively with a Kwikset representative at CES, please visit Kwikset at the Digital Experience with Pepcom on Monday, January 6 at the Mirage Hotel. To learn more about Kwikset’s products, please visit: http://kwiksetpresskit.com
Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) is a major manufacturer and supplier of residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware and faucets with a portfolio of renowned brands, including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Stanley®, FANAL®, Pfister™ and EZSET®. HHI is a leader in its key markets with #1 positions in U.S. residential locksets (Kwikset), Canada residential locksets (Weiser), U.S. luxury locksets (Baldwin), and U.S. builders’ hardware (Stanley-National Hardware), #2 in Mexico residential hardware (Fanal), and #3 in U.S. retail plumbing (Pfister). Headquartered in Orange County, California, HHI has a global sales force and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Asia. To learn more about Kwikset, visit www.Kwikset.com
About Spectrum Brands
HHI is a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SPB). Spectrum Brands is a global, diversified consumer products company and a leading supplier of consumer batteries, residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware and faucets, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Spectrum Brands employs over 12,500 employees worldwide and sells to the top 25 global retailers with products in more than one million stores.
About UniKey Technologies
Born out of first-hand experience launching advanced biometric locking technologies to the consumer channel and opportunistic vision of mass appeal, UniKey was founded on the concept of uniquely combining existing wireless, mobile and Internet technologies to bring your front door into the digital age. UniKey has developed a proprietary and patent-pending “touch-to-open” system that can be easily integrated into existing doors by simply replacing the current lock. No more fumbling for keys when trying to enter your home, but instead securely gain access by simply touching your lock without removing your phone from pocket or purse. For more information on UniKey, please visit smartphone.unikey.com